R-S Middle School’s original building opened in 1925 as Rutherfordton, Spindale, Ruth High School. The current eighth-grade building and gym were constructed in 1962 with the current cafeteria and library following three years later. R-S Central High School moved to a new campus in the fall of 1992. In the fall of 1993, R-S Middle opened on the old high school campus. The most recent construction on the property is the sixth-grade building erected in the mid-90s.